Saturday, March 13, 2010

It's been awhile.....

So exactly a month from yesterday we leave for outreach. I am really excited to experience other parts of Africa and even another part of South Africa. Last week was outreach prep week and we learned a lot about the places we are going. For instance in Zambia we are working with a mission organization called Good News II Ministry. We will be in Mpulungu, Zambia, right on Lake Tanganyika. While we are there we will get to work with the school the orphans go to, help with prison ministry, go to the communites around the lake, teach adult literacy and help with a youth camp. Monday's are days of fasting, no lunch and no dinner. Some of my teammates are pretty worried about it, I'm not so much worried about the no food as I am how grumpy I am going to get. Because lets be honest, without food I can get a little cranky. But I know that I can do it. So as we were preparing for outreach we had a lot of team bonding time. Which included going to this amazing waterfall that is about 20 minutes away. I have never seen a waterfall before so I loved it! The even better news is that while we are in Zambia we are going to get to go to Victoria Falls, the biggest waterfall in either the World or Africa, I'm not sure which but either way it's gonna be awesome. As far as Johannesburg goes, I have no clue who we will be working with. I know it's a dutch reform church but that's all I know for now.





Wednesday of this week was the first day of our newest feeding program. It will be in Mbonsweni every Wednesday from now on at the church. It was a big celebration that included face painting, games, water balloons, a mural of the children's hands and of course food for the children. I think celebration is a good word to use because we are feeding more children who may not be getting food but once or twice or even never during the week. The meal was big this week too....it included pap (pronounced pop), minced meat, cabbage, potatoes, and cranberry sauce. The children had a chance to just be kids for once. They were laughing, smiling and playing as if they had no cares in the world. And I loved it.
This week was about finding our Identity, not just our own but our Identity in Christ. It was an emotionally hard week but so awesome! The full story of Identity week will be in my blog sometime within the next two days. :) So stay tuned. For now here are some pictures.......


































2 comments:

  1. Awesome blog!! I just love seeing you and reading about your time there. Those children are precious! I love and miss you!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We both know that I would get cranky without food! I will definitely pray for you during Mondays!! It is so wonderful to see and hear about the great things you are doing! Miss ya tons!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete