Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sanbona (Hello) from Africa!!

I have now been in Africa for three days! It is so breathtakingly beautiful that I may never leave. My new home is up in the mountains surrounded by trees. Can you say amazing? We have a birds eye view of all the villages around us. I live in a room with 9 other girls, there are 5 bunk beds and one bathroom! We were the first to arrive so luckily we got to settle in and pick our beds. There is a DTS team from Orlando doing their outreach here, 30 of them altogether. So I have been spending a lot of time with them playing cards and talking just waiting on everyone else to arrive. It has kind of been boring because we have had nothing to do the past couple of days so I am thrilled that everything started today. We had our welcome braii (barbeque) off base at one of the leader’s house. Their house was beautiful and the food was delicious, it was a good time getting to know everyone now that we are all here. There are 15 of us altogether, 10 girls and 5 guys….
Meet My Team: The Americans – Kacy is 25 from Alvin, Texas and has her masters in marriage and family therapy. Rebekah is 21 from Plano, Texas and has her associates in musical theater. Kelly is 19 from Pennsylvania and has taken one semester of college, neither of her parents are Christians yet here she is, Amazing. Breanna is 18 from Washington fresh out of high school and already home sick. Michael is, well I’m not exactly sure how old Michael is but he’s from North Carolina and is an electrician and honey bee worker.
The Africans – Pinkie is 20 from South Africa, she is an orphan herself, I hope to learn more about her story very soon! Laney is turning 23 next month, and I don’t know much about her yet. Mongoleeso or Mongo as we call him is 22 from Capetown and has a degree in marketing and advertising. Lenon, is quiet but he danced today at church and I really enjoyed watching him open up. Leonard is even more quiet than Lenon he has been here a whole day and I haven’t heard him say more than 5 words, hopefully that will change soon.
The Swedish – Elizabeth is 28 and is a nurse, that’s all I know about her for now. Manuel is 27 and showed up with his friends yesterday, they have been traveling all around South Africa.
The Canadians – Shayla is 18 and has a great personality; she just got here today so we are just getting to know her. Last but not least is Marcella she is 21 and has extended family that lives just 5 minutes away.
Today was also church! We went in the village, it was just a plain small building with a lot of windows. The orphans attend the church and they are beautiful. I absolutely loved the church because someone just starts singing a song and then everyone chimes in, there is no music but their voices are so beautiful and harmonized it sounds like music. By the time our three months is up here I will hopefully know all the songs. Lenon and Mongo said we needed to join in and dance with them next week, so maybe I will. I loved church because the people here love God so much, you can feel his presence when your there. We start orientation week tomorrow, I can’t wait for God to move in me and all of my teammates. I may have pictures soon, it’s just hard because we pay for internet by data. So uploading pictures may cost me quite a bit of money. I will see what I can do. Please be praying for me and my team, that God brings us closer to him than ever before. Pray that we may touch these people’s lives and be a blessing to them and the orphans and that they see God in us in every thing we do. I absolutely love it here :)

Oh yeah…..there is apparently a black mamba snake on base somewhere so pray I do not see it or you might hear me scream all the way back in the states. (A black mamba is one of the most poisonous snakes in the world!!!!!)

6 comments:

  1. Awww it was so good to read that:) I'm glad you are having fun! Sounds amazing there! I read it to mom, chelsea, and madison because we are all here. I thought we might get to talk to you on skype but you got off 1 minute after you said hey...RUDE! lol

    Hopefully the black Mamba wont find you:( thats scary. Chelsea says if you type everything you want on microsoft word first, then you can just get on the internet and copy and paste what you wrote so it wont cost much at all. Mom says let her know how much it costs for all that and she can help you out:) We love reading what you write and like to know what is going on over there. I can't wait to get to talk to you on skype hopefully soon. I love you sooooo much and so do Kinley and Karsyn. I'm glad your having a blast and that God is working in so many ways. How Amazing!!!! Love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God will bless you over and abundantly for all the work you are doing for Him. He is going to use you in ways you never thought were possible! I have been and will continue to pray for you and now your team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing! I'm excited for your adventure and very thankful that you've given your time for God. You will be richly blessed for it. We love hearing about everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey love! I'm glad to hear all of the good things coming from South Africa so far! Sounds like a beautiful place...I look forward to reading the blogs that you post updating everyone with your experiences :) I'll live vicariously through you from Waco, TX...haha, miss you bunches, love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We loved reading your post! What a wonderful experience!! We want to go to church with you! Be safe. We love you - Aunt Yasmin and Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brittany - I am proud of you. I wish I was there with you. You are having such a wonderful experience that will last you forever. Be careful of that Mamba-tread carefully! Ha-ha!! Will write more later once I get used to blogging. I don't have the hang of it yet! Love you lots and lots, Grammy

    ReplyDelete